Celebrating The Apollo Missions

Being an astronomy aficionado, I can't let today go by without celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

The Apollo Guidance Computer had 64 kilobytes of memory and worked at a snail's pace of 0.043 megahertz. To put that in perspective, the computer I'm writing this on has 2 gigabytes of memory (=2,097,152 kilobytes) and a processor speed of 2 gigahertz (=2,000 megahertz).

Even in these economic times, it's important to support our space program. I encourage you to learn more by visiting these web sites. And, while I'm at it, I'd like to ask all of you to promote dark skies in your neighborhood by pointing exterior lights toward the ground, using motion sensors, and encouraging legislation that discourages light pollution. Our children deserve to be able to see, and visit, the stars.

Posted byTriona Guidry at 10:36 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment