Alternate Web Browsers

If an alternate web browser is safer than Internet Explorer, which one should you use?

The most popular is Mozilla Firefox, available for both PC and Mac. I use it on both platforms. Another option for PC and Mac is Opera, which tends to do better with IE-insistent sites. Windows users might want to explore Google Chrome (a version for Mac is in development). And Mac users can rely on Apple's default browser, Safari. Be sure to set the alternate browser as the default when asked. For more information on alternate browsers, please visit the Alternate Browser Alliance.

You can also install plug-ins to enhance your browser's capabilities. I'm fond of McAfee SiteAdvisor for security. You can find Firefox plug-ins on Mozilla's site.

Next month we'll talk about How To Organize Your Email. If you have any computer questions click Comments below this article, and don't forget to subscribe to the email version of Tech Tips for bonus tips and product reviews.

Posted byTriona Guidry at 12:21 PM  

3 comments:

Unknown said... February 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

I think you forgot about Flock! Built on the same open source technology as Firefox, Flock fuels my addiction to social networking with one click posts! I love it, even though right now I'm using Google Chrome (incognito, because I like the secret agent in the top left corner).

Triona Guidry said... February 16, 2009 at 5:22 PM  

You're right, Brian, Flock is a good one also!

Punky N Munky said... February 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

Hi Triona! I met you last summer at summer camp, our daughters would swing together before class :). I had misplaced your card but remembered your name and just decided to google your name to find your website to sign up for the tech tips! I've tried Firefox but just wasn't thrilled with it. I will try out some of the others you've suggested!

Post a Comment